As the week progresses the chill in the air seems just a bit sharper. Dressing in layers is something we’re use to around these parts. I regard my winter wear like a long lost friend. Familiar with all the soft folds and the well-worn cuffs, it’s nice to feel cozy within them again. They are my protectors from the cold.
At market this week we would like to give homage to the Water Protectors of North Dakota. How can we best serve these brave and hearty souls from our small corner of the world has been the ongoing question for us. With temperatures dropping and comfort in mind we decided - Socks, Wool Socks. Although a small offering we felt a valuable one. What if we asked everyone we knew to donate a pair of new warm socks? We know a lot of people and we know a lot of people who would like to help in any way they can. We are taking donations until the end of November at our market booth. Bring a pair or as many pairs as you like or if you would like to donate money towards socks we would be happy to purchase them for you. The socks will be heading west at the end of the month.
Belly wise, we have some wonderful flavors to comfort you all the way down to your toes. A multi-grain croquette with red fife, a heritage wheat, sweet rice, red quinoa, toasted millet and brown rice served with a dollop of roasted eggplant sauce. Red fife, a grain new to me, has a nutty and robust flavor. A gluten free option is also available. We made a lovely lemon verbena oil harvested from our verbena patch to add to the French Lentils. Local farms are finally harvesting the roots. We roasted ours with olive oil, thyme, salt, capers and preserved lemon. Oven roasted winter squash wrapped in filo and dusted with almond and cinnamon. Collard greens with a sour cherry vinaigrette and finely shaved pickled cabbage salad with dill. That’s a lot of flavor. We’ll be seeing you soon. As a reminder market starts at 10am tomorrow and goes until 2.
II Saturday November 5 2016 II
- Multi-grain Croquettes w/ a Smoked Eggplant Sauce
- Lemon Verbena & Tarragon French Lentils
- Roasted Celeriac, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, and Turnips w/ Mustard, Capers &
- Preserved Lemon
- Butternut Squash Filo Pie w/ Toasted Almonds & Cinnamon
- Collard Greens w/ Sour Cherry Vinaigrette
- Dilled Cabbage Salad
- Field Greens w/ Sprouts & Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- Heavenly Tapioca (GF) - $5
- Apple, Pear, & Fig Crisp (GF) - $5
- Ginger Spice Cake w/ Coconut Cardamom Cream- $4
- Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes (GF) - $6
- Pecan Tart - $6
- Cookies $1
- Cashew Chocolate Truffles (GF)
- Peanut Butter Cookies (GF)
- Ginger Spiced Cookies
- Almond Cookies